It’s finally here…and UGH. School season. If you’re headed back, one freshly minted high school grad has got some rules for your survival. 18-year-old Allie wrote these for a group of girls she was mentoring – a group that was about to enter high school.
1. Surround yourself with people who build you up, not people who tear you down.
2. Treat your kisses like you have a limited supply.
3. Guard your heart. Seriously… your heart is precious.
4. Stay vertical/no buttons and zippers (or Velcro). In other words, set your boundaries and stick to them.
5. Have an accountability partner and be willing to tell HER everything.
6. Be so so so so so so so SO SO SO SO careful who you date.
7. If you’re wondering if you should break up with him, break up with him.
8. If your girl gets broken up with, go buy her a stuffed animal, a blanket, candy, and lots and lots of ice
cream. (Other gifts are acceptable.)
9. Pray, PRAY, PRAY! Don’t ever forget how much you need God.
10. Have a quiet time. It may seem like a hassle, but it will help you stay close to God.
11. Be nice to your parents. They love you and want the best for you, so if you disagree with them, just
realize that they are a lot smarter than you…sorry about it.
12. If you find yourself lying to your parents/other adults in your life, backtrack and get out of that
situation IMMEDIATELY. You are somewhere you do not want to be.
13. Never be afraid to say no. It’s better to be a wimp than dead.
14. When you fall on your face, get back up and keep moving (literally and figuratively).
15. Journal so you can look back and see what God has done in your life.
16. Even when you don’t want to, GO TO CHURCH!
17. If it’s not classy, don’t do it.
18. Don’t judge. Even when people are doing things you don’t agree with, show them love.
19. Pause before you speak… this will prevent a lot of problems.
20. Selfies are for faces.