Photo: Getty Images/Volanthevist
Do you have that deal with your kids? You know, where they go score your favorite candy and then you decide what you want from their score. But what could you really do with the candy? Sorry mom and dad, you've gotten paid long enough and now it's time to help out others, and this time we mean charities. So here are some charities that would be happy to take the goodies to pass on some cheer.
- Treats for Troops- Run by Soldier’s Angels, this program allows you to send sweets to soldiers. Kids can earn buyback prizes, and you can get a tax deductible receipt for your donation.
- Halloween Candy Buy Back- This group partners with businesses such as dentists offices to get extra candy out of the hands of your little ones in exchange for healthy items such as toothbrushes, hygiene kits and coupons.
- Operation Gratitude- Deployed troops and first responders will be touched that you sent them your sweets while they are working hard, far away from home. Last year, they received and distributed a record-breaking 533,891 pounds of candy!
- Operation Shoebox- This organization is ready to receive your candy donations — they distribute candy on Halloween, Christmas and Easter to troops that are missing the festivities while away from home.
- Ronald McDonald House Charities- Call your local chapter to find out rules on bringing your unopened Halloween candy for severely sick children and their families to enjoy.
You can also contact your local food pantry, homeless shelter or nursing home to see if they accept it.